The Alkali Inspectorate
Under the Alkali Act 1863, an alkali inspector and four sub-inspectors were appointed to curb discharge into the air of muriatic acid gas (gaseous hydrochloric acid) from Leblanc alkali works. The inspectorate continued to exist, gradually acquiring more responsibility and under various names, finally becoming Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Pollution in 1987. It was subsumed into the HSE in 1996.
We have bound minutes of the annual general meetings of the inspectors from 1897 until 1952, complete with indexes.